Do you have a quick question about a speech?? Need to know more about how to use our services? We’d be happy to help and connect you with resources in real time.
Availability: Monday-Thursday from 11am to 2pm
If you click on the link outside of these hours, you will receive a message saying that the “host has not started the meeting.” This means that the virtual walk-in is not currently staffed, and you will need to try back later. Remember, you can also reach us by email and phone.
How to Use Virtual Walk-In Hours
- Click on the link in the sidebar to speak to a consultant through Zoom without having to reserve an appointment.
- You will need to use your full name or sign in to your University of Mississippi Zoom account to join the chat.
- Because this is a “walk-in” service, we cannot guarantee that a consultant will be able to meet with you. Others may be in line ahead of you, and you may have to wait in the Zoom waiting room until the consultant is free. The consultant will communicate with you about an approximate wait time so that you can plan accordingly.
- This service is meant to be a place for you to get quick answers to your questions. Generally, a conversation in the chat will last about 15 minutes or less. If your needs warrant something more in depth, the consultant may connect you with another staff member who is free or assist you in creating an appointment later.
- Our consultants may not be able to answer specific questions about an assignment or course. Please direct those types of specific questions to your professor or advisor.
Code of Conduct
- Students should behave in a professional and courteous manner. Anyone who violates this may have their public speaking consultation privileges revoked. Consultants may end or leave sessions if a student is violating our policies or the UM Creed.
- You must be wearing appropriate attire when using the live video correspondence. Make sure you a are dressed in a manner that would be considered appropriate to attend class.
- Please be prepared when you enter the consultation. You can provide a short assignment description or a list of questions or concerns for which you need guidance. It is important that you bring ideas for what you want to cover. Our consultants respect your time, so please respect theirs and other students that may be waiting.
- You must be present and participate in the chat consistently or the consultant will be forced to end your session.
- Always plan your time accordingly and give yourself plenty of space between an appointment and an assignment’s due date.