Speaking Center Peer-Consultant Positions
The University of Mississippi Speaking Center is now accepting applications for new Peer- Consultants to begin initial training in the Fall. Positions are available to students with or without work-study eligibility.
Peer Consultants are expected to communicate effectively in a public, interpersonal, and group communication environments, show leadership qualities, take an interest in ideas about teaching and learning, and demonstrate professionalism as members of the Speaking Center team.
- must enroll in SPCH 301 Responding to Communicators for Fall,
- must have strong communication skills and be interested in how people communicate,
- must have successfully completed a Public Speaking course (SPCH 102, SPCH 105 or equivalent),
- must have attended University of Mississippi for a year, and
- must be committed to working in the center for at least two semesters.
Overall and major GPAs will also be considered. Minimum 2.8 overall GPA is required. To apply, you must submit:
- a cover letter (explaining your interest in the position, describing any relevant experience, and including your student ID number so that the center director can access your records);
- a resume;
- the name of a faculty reference (indicate in your cover letter who will serve as your reference; no need for a formal letter from that person);
- and a preliminary idea of available work hours for fall.
After successful training, staff members will work in the center 2.5 -10 hours per week to meet with clients, host talks, give tours, participate in workshops and attend mandatory staff meetings. Students will also be required to attend staff development before each semester begins.
Use the form below to recommend yourself or another student for the Speaking Center Peer-Consultant position. We’ll reach out personally to students that have been recommended.