Before your appointment with a speaking center consultant on any campus or online, please review the following information and policies regarding appointments.
- Collaboration: Speaking Center consultants’ will work alongside you to address important public speaking concerns, learn new skills and strategies, as well as access helpful resources, but they will not simply write your speech for you.
- Number of Reservations: Students may schedule up to 3 appointments per week and are limited to a maximum of 1 appointments per day.
- Public Speaking Tutoring Process: Consultants will assist students with any type of public speaking in any discipline and at any phase of the public speaking process, from brainstorming, to drafting, reviewing and polishing.
- File Types: Our consultants can only review files uploaded as
.doc or .docx (Microsoft Word) files. Please convert PDF’s or .pages files prior to uploading them to your reservation.
Speaking Center Values and Professional Environment
The UM Speaking Center has adopted and defined the following core values for the operation of its accreditation program.
- Accountability. We accept responsibility for our actions and decisions. We recognize that we are accountable to those whom we serve.
- We strive for high quality, efficiency and respect for all individuals working in the speaking center, students and the community.
The moral code or ethical policy of academia will be maintained at all times. Avoidance of cheating or plagiarism, maintenance of academic standards will be expected from all individuals with no exceptions.
Credit for using other people’s ideas/or contributions will be acknowledged appropriately and applied to all aspects of the teaching and learning within the speaking center.